Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Curious Case Of The S

Lately, I’ve been having a rather absurd problem. I know what you’re thinking, but that’s not it; I have pills for that.

The problem is that I’ve been spreading my S around. Yes, my S. My letter S. I keep adding an extra S to the end of words, inadvertently pluralizing the singular subject, making the still-singular verb ill-fitted to deal with the multiplex nature of the subject. In other words, I’ve become grammatically challenged. Or, to use the politically correct term, I have become a person with grammatical disabilities.

Or just plain stupid, for those of you who are synonymically challenged.

I didn’t mean for it to happen. One day it just did. Pesky little ‘S’s, creeping into posts, multiplying, fornicating, breeding, infesting my text with their twisty little offspring.

I can’t help but wonder where all these extra ‘S’s are coming from, and logically, there’s only one explanation. It’s a well known fact that the modern S is a fairly impractical letter, and I can only assume I’m ahead of my time, predicting the end of the S and my subconscious is now trying to get rid of all of my ‘S’s by spreading them around. It’s probably in your best interest to do the same; when the time comes you do not want to sit there with a crapload of extra ‘S’s and nowhere to put them.

Remember, you heard it from me first.

Now go, my friends!

Spread your S around!


This post is part of Nicky and Mike’s 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing challenge. Today’s prompt is Absurd. Go check out We Work For Cheese for a list of the other participants. *
Share/Bookmark

37 comments:

  1. Ziva, I don't think I will be the first to tell you,but you have a mighty fine S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Ziva how will we describe the sound a snake makes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like spreading your esses around is a little like leaving your shit everywhere. Don't sssweat it, I've done that.


    And if you really have developed this quirk, don't change it! Embrace it as part of the Ziva flavor; unique and ever changing. Rock ons, baby, rock ons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like you a need a word exterminator to get "their twisty little offspring." hah! Love it. Dark and twisted, literally. Don't you hate the word, literally?

    I finally realized that Chrome and Disqus don't play well together. I can't tell you how many times I've been here and tried commenting...because I can't remember what I did ten minutes ago. I even left a comment at your fb page.

    I'm using Safari and all is well in the Disqus universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, thank you, Shawn! Yours is pretty damn fine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT's what you'll miss the most? That's absurd, Dufus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly have developed this little quirk. And it's starting to grow, too.. Earlier today it was an extra E, then an extra A, and I can't help but wonder if the vowels are going to cost me extra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally hate the word literally. ;)


    I'm so sorry you're having trouble commenting on my blog. Damn Disqus is always screwing with me, but I don't really want to get rid of it, either. I'm glad it works in Safari, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it's not as you say, that the S is on it's way out. I just don't think I have what it takes to Kype you without an S. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bollocks, you'd be brilliant at Kyping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It starts with the extra "S" and progresses to problems with their, there, and they're. Try and stay strong, Zivas.



    Oop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is don'ts understands whats yous ares talkings abouts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ziva! I'll do just that. But as you know, it's Cs, Vs and Is that I despise the most. Roth x

    ReplyDelete
  14. i now want to go back to all your posts and find the S's!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. mikewjattoomanymorningsFebruary 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

    Shawn stole my joke.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mikewjattoomanymorningsFebruary 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

    I was going to count the Esses in your post because it seemed it had a lot of them. Then I realized I have a life.

    *checking my comment now to see if I left out any words or added any esses*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey - I counted my "asses" the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For me it's apostrophes with esses. I'm becoming a complete dolt. I blame it on the internet. I think you should too. There, they're, their, Ziva, don't worry the S so much that you lose sight of the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I once tried to spread my S around. It got me arrested for Indecent E.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Actually, a friend of mine adds the letter S to nearly all of her words after she's had a few drinks. It's not even a slurring thing. I think it's just a drunken affectation. Am I getting anywhere close to the mark for you, Ziva? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats sures is absurds, Zivas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no, it's happening to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well now that you mention it, my drinking habits may have changed slightly during the past 24 days or so.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Uh-oh, better tuck in that S, then.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh god yes, apostrophes. I'm definitely blaming the internet for that one. In fact, I blame the internet for pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
  26. At first I was going to write the entire post without any esses, but then I realized I have a life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haha, I try to edits out all the extra esses before I post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perhaps you ought to start spreading them around too, Indigo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no.. I hate to break it to you, LM, but you seem to be suffering from the same problem.. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no, not their, there and they're, too! The horror!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Heh, glad I could make you smile, Meleah. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've heard there are no "W"s in the Russian language. Now you guys are getting rid of "s"s? What will be next? M's?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh god no, we need the M's to pay for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.