Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

French

It’s 23:05, Friday night. I’ve had the longest day in the history of 24-hour clocks. Today’s prompt is French. That’s it, just French.

French...

French...

Nope, this is not going to work, I can’t just keep repeating the prompt over and over again.

French. What’s French? France comes to mind. Quebec, too. And several parts of Africa, strangely enough. My, the French were a bit overzealous when it came to the whole colony thing, weren’t they? So were the Brits. And speaking of Brits, M and I have one living with us right now! I should always have someone sitting in the corner speaking British; it’s highly entertaining.

Right, French.

I’m having some wine, but I know for a fact it’s Spanish, not French. I’m having chocolate, too, but it is distinctly Finnish, not French. Oh, and now it’s gone. Well, I still have half a bottle of wine. At least that’s something.

French...

I know some French. I can introduce myself in French, and I’m pretty sure I can insult someone in French, too, but the only time I’ve ever actually needed to know any French was when someone asked me for directions to the restrooms during my pilgrimage to a French monastery. “À gauche,” I said, feeling silly. I was sure there was supposed to be a “la” in there somewhere.

Oh! The metric system is a French thing. Apparently they actually did contribute something good to the world. Apart from French kissing, that is.

What else is French?

Moodiness is French, I think. They have this air of nonchalance that no one else has. They’re tall and skinny and look like they’ve slept far too little and enjoyed it far too much. If I ever went to France again I’d have to gain five inches, lose 20 pounds and remember to look enigmatic and anemic.

Oops, I seem to have drunk all my wine. Well, this post wasn’t really happening today anyway.


This post is part of Nicky and Mike’s 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing challenge. Today’s prompt is French. Go check out We Work For Cheese for a list of the other participants. *
Share/Bookmark

29 comments:

  1. The "la" goes at the end: a gauche, la. Don't mention it, la.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I found this post to be very moody and very French at the same time. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, la. You're a good friend, Dufus. Have some wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dufus is teaching you Quebec French.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ziva! I loved this stream-of-consciousness! The wine must have helped :) Nice work, Z! Indigo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why users still make use of to read news papers when in
    this technological globe everything is existing on net?
    my site - get rid of pimple scars

    ReplyDelete
  7. French fries. How could you forget? Sigh.



    Oh, I know why. You drank all the wine and when the wine was gone, so was this post. Hee Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you know when the post is finished? When the booze is all gone. This is how it's been for me all week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When the wine is gone is normally when I'd go for the French fries.. But I found another bottle of wine, the fries can wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Indigo! I'm glad you liked it. :) And yes, the wine helped. In fact, wine helps with most things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Linda! Moody and French is exactly what I pretend to be when I get tipsy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You drank all of the wine? What are Johnny and I gonna drink?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always got confused by the la. Or the le. Masculine. Feminine. What the hell? Why do words need to be male or female? Can't we all just get along?

    ReplyDelete
  14. While French girls may be tall and skinny, I prefer Finnish girls. They're much more... approachable. Especially after drinking some wine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. mikewjattoomanymorningsFebruary 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

    I can't picture Ziva at a monastery, kneeling in prayer like a penitent. I'm guessing you were there on a wine tasting tour. I just hope you didn't get drunk and French kiss a monk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was seventeen, I wasn't allowed to drink. Or kiss monks. They did serve wine, though but you only got a sip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I prefer Canadian girls. The sexy kind that speak French.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, let's all just get along. And while we're at it, let's make the French get rid of the las and les.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found another bottle! And this time it's actually French. You guys will love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Somebody once said that. Oh, yeah, I just did. Pass that bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooooh, I like it. Ooooh la la! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kind of like my 15 minute post! YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The "French" prompt was a little difficult for me, too. I think you made things happen in this post, though. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that the French were the originators of the metric system. Moodiness, on the other hand...I was well aware of that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It might have been difficult for you, but I loved your post for "French". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dammit, P.J, you're just adding more las and we were supposed to be getting rid of them!

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.