Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

My 15 Minutes Of Fame

"List three different kinds of fish that live in brackish water."

It was an easy question, but just like last week, the cameras were distracting. I could see the little red lights on each of them, indicating that they were recording. We weren’t supposed to look at the cameras, but those red lights were taunting me, daring me to look at them. Look at us shine, they were saying, we’re not awkward or insecure or uncomfortable, we’re confident and capable, and we certainly didn’t let our mom talk us into wearing that horrible sweater on TV.

I shot the little red lights, and the entire TV audience, a resentful look and tried to focus on the question. It was my turn to write down my answer, and literally tens of people were waiting. All eyes were on me as I shakily wrote down my answer in large TV friendly block letters, checking the spelling twice; I’d been teased mercilessly last week.

Why did the sweater have to be orange?

"May I have the answer?"

I wasn’t sure I wanted to give him mine, but I didn’t dare tell him that. Luckily, my answer was correct, but so was my opponent’s. Back and forth we went. She scored a point, I scored a point. I scored a point, she scored a point. Good thing one of us didn’t jump off a bridge, the other one would have surely followed just to make it a tie.

It all came down to the last question.

To this day, I cannot remember what that question was. All I know is that I walked out of that TV studio with the bigger cheque. Weeks of sleeplessness, agony and horrific nerves, and I came out the winner.

It was just a silly game show on a local TV network, but dammit, I showed those little red lights what I was made of.

Oh, and that sweater? I was teased endlessly about it.



This post is part of Nicky and Mike’s 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing challenge. Today’s prompt is 15 minutes. Go check out We Work For Cheese for a list of the other participants. *
Share/Bookmark

23 comments:

  1. But at least you had your 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ziva! I love these "Young Z" adventures, and you nailed this one. PLEASE tell us this footage exists an VHS somewhere! And of course, I would in no way tease you about the jumper. Indigo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the theme from Jeopardy flash through your mind? I'm with Indigo. We want to see the tape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were the winner in more ways than one. You got the bigger check and a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with others - if this is recorded somewhere, you need to get it online!

    How much was the check for? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you used the money to buy a new sweater. Or put it in a trust fund that's accumulated interest and will make you fabulously wealthy when it matures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you kidding? I was eleven, and for some reason I bought a little lamp for the money. It was horribly ugly, you'd have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, sometimes when I feel like a total failure, crying myself to sleep. I look back at that game show and I feel all better again. )

    ReplyDelete
  9. If footage of this exercise in humiliation exists and were to resurface, I'm afraid I'd have to kill the messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, you really don't. You'd die laughing, and I'm telling you, that's not a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And a fear of cameras, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Et tu, P.J? I was hoping someone would come to my rescue and help me burn that horrible video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So? What are the three kinds of fish that live in brackish water? Don't leave me hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pffft. All I did was sit in the audience for the Bozo the Clown show...... Bozo was gross. He had bad breath from cigarette smoking. I don't think I had to answer any questions but I may have been wearing an orange sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Given the choice of answering questions on TV, or hanging out with a clown with cigarette breath, I think I might have preferred the clown...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid I only know the answer in Swedish, I never bothered learning the name of fish in English. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, I was just about to request that you show us the footage. No such luck, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so fun to read. I love the dry humor and the gradual, deliberate delivery of facts. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, KZ, it was written out of desperation, I had nothing for the prompt, but I'm rather happy with how it turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.