Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

30 Minus 2 Days of Writing III: There Are Things

There are certain moments, certain things, in life that go straight to your soul. They happen when you need them the most, when you’re sinking and in need of saving. These moments lift you up and carry you through, and no matter how many times you go back in your mind and re-live those moments, they never get old. This is one of those moments.

It’s ten years ago. We’re not even twenty yet, but six months ago my sister was dying of pulmonary embolism. There have been tears and begging and whispered words to any deity that will listen, and most of all a bone-chilling fear that’s planted itself deep in my soul. But we’re here now, just the two of us under the Mediterranean sun. Two weeks in Cyprus to work on our tan and to celebrate life. Two weeks to get away from the horrors of what happened. Two weeks to melt away the winter that’s taken root within us.

And as the taxi driver laughs at our mispronunciation of the name of our hotel, I can feel the healing begin. “Chrielka!” he says loudly, as if dumb could be fixed by a louder volume, and we both try again, to his great dismay. He shakes his head and mutters something while weaving in and out of traffic and flipping other drivers off. Malin’s hair tickles my arm, and the trees are full of exotic flowers.

It’s the start of two amazing weeks of sunshine and the sea, of getting lost and finding our way back again, of fighting battles with cockroaches and emerging victorious, if a little worse for wear. It’s two weeks of incredible memories, but it’s that first taxi drive that I remember with the most fondness, because that’s what saved my life. It was those first few moments of laughter that expanded my chest and made room for the ice to melt.


This post was written for Nicky and Mike's 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing III. To see the other posts, please visit We Work For Cheese.
*
Share/Bookmark

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Ziva, I'm speechless. Your sister's very, very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes there are things that just take our breath away. This post would be one of those things. So incredibly beautiful, Lemmikki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So filled with emotion without being overstated. An exquisite piece of writing, Ziva.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching and wonderfully written, Ziva.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning piece straight from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm even luckier to have her, my friend, there was a time when I didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, gorgeous, it felt good to write it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the Alzheimer kicking in already? ;) Seriously though, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Cheryl, it really was straight from my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely. And very true. A change from descent to ascent is so often marked by some small but significant event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my little heart strings have been pulled. That was beautiful! Laughter is such great medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ziva, this was heart-stopping in it's beauty and elegance. What a frightening and horrid experience. I'm so glad you were able to mend your heart and that your sister is with you still. This piece of writing is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mikewjattoomanymorningsFebruary 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM

    This a wonderful story, beautifully told. It's not only the content—who doesn't like to hear about somebody overcoming dire adversity?—it's the way you say so much without saying it directly. For example, you could've said that you and Malin sat close together in the car. That's how ordinary, unimaginative writers would handle it. Instead, you say that her hair is tickling your arm and that the trees are blooming with new life, which says so much more.

    So much more.

    Someday, I hope, you use your gift to write a great book, Ziva. About me, of course. Because what else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't always recognise it as it's happening, but looking back, you know when the shift occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Linda, I am eternally grateful to still have her with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, my friend, your words mean a lot to me. I'll get started on that book about you right away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Ziva. What an incredibly beautiful piece of writing. I am in awe of how you shared SOOOOOO much with so few words. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so beautiful.

    I remember a taxi ride in St. John's from the airport to the place we were staying. The air was different... fresh... beautiful... and there were goats alongside the road. I will never forget that. Your story reminded me of that very night.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply beautiful, Ziva. You weave those words, and feelings, and recollections so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, Meleah. Growing up in Finland, you had to pay good money for your vowels, so I learned to say a lot in few words. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't it wonderful how clearly we remember certain things, even though it's been so long? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an exquisite piece of writing, Ziva. You captured so much with this piece. May all your days with your sister be full of sunshine and laughter from here on out.

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.