Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

30 Minus 2 Days of Writing III: It Was No Accident

Accidents happen when you have a credit card, a steady income and a big new house to decorate. I know this from experience. In fact, I have some of that experience sitting right there in my hallway, waiting to be taken back to IKEA where I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Turns out I didn’t really need that lamp shaped like a giraffe.

But things happen when I’m at IKEA. Things I don’t really want or need just accidentally fall into my shopping cart, and I come home with more friendly furniture than I could ever need. In fact, I have had several accidents like this happen over the past couple of months, several of which came with blocky Swedish names and helpful instructions for how to assemble them for maximum buyer’s remorse.

But the lights I just bought, they definitely didn’t come from IKEA, and they were definitely not an accident. I saw them online and I fell in love. Warm, soft shades of gray to light up these cold winter days. I needed to have them, and unlike that giraffe monstrosity, they are staying for good.



This post was written for Nicky and Mike's 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing III. To see the other posts, please visit We Work For Cheese.
*
Share/Bookmark

31 comments:

  1. Oh, Lemmikki, they're beautiful! Much better than giraffe lamps. And for God's sake, stay away from IKEA. You of all people should know it's just Swedish for fuck you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a lamp you won't find at IKEA. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I would have also liked to have seen the giraffe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful lamps. I had a large orange lamp, just like those, back in the late 60's. It was made with pieces of tissue paper layered over a string base and looked much better than it sounds. It hung from the ceiling on a very long flex, just above the coffee table. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMYWORD!! Those are absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IKEA has a way of doing that to you. It must be something they put in the meatballs and lingonberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had to +1 Nicky's comment ... and since nonamedufus shared his lamp suggestion, here is mine ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lights and the presentation in your photos. IKEA is run by.....wait for it.....ALIENS! We have one about 40 miles away to the north and I've managed to stay away from it....so far. I feel its gravitational field creeping south, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't help myself, IKEA lures me in with affordable prices and flat packages.. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds just about perfect, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fell in love with them at first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am never having their meatballs again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, I can't see your lamp.. Did you attach a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are gorgeous pictures, Ziva. So is that how everything looks in Finland? Is the whole country awash in sepia tones? How does that work when it comes to street lights?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The whole country is awash with snow and misery, the sepia is just insult added to injury.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful. They will definitely chase away some of the winter blues. And I can understand how those shopping accidents happen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos. Or I can also say, they are gouda.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are truly beautiful... and the photos? Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely. They are certain to chase away the winter blues.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's crazy, one minute you're just browsing, and the next, oops!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, now I can see her! Holy crap. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I visited Ikea for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Interesting place to shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Interesting" is a nice way to put it.

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.