Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

30 Days of Photographs II: The Outtakes

This challenge is like the killer in a horror movie, just when you thought it was finally over, it comes back to life to haunt you some more. I took hundreds, even thousands of photos since March, but you only got to see thirty of them. I know you must be devastated about that, so today I'm going to be posting some the photos that didn't make the cut the first time around.

The first three photos are all photos I considered for Day 1, Silence, at one point or the other. The car all alone on that hill, the graveyard with the fresh coat of snow, and the table at the restaurant, waiting for its first customers of the night. They all convey a different kind of silence, but in the end, I of course went with a little toy lamb. Why? I have no freaking idea .







For "From An Ant's Perspective" I went with a shot of an orchid, but at the time I was choosing between two shots. This one, the reject, I wanted to post today just because those freaky petals kind of look like an ant's antennae.



This glass of water was an option for "Mirror," I liked how the light was reflected through the water and the glass, but at the time opted to go for a more literal interpretation of the theme.



For "Something I Hate" I went with snow. Takatalvi, to be more specific. The next photo is also a take on snow. It's a photo of the speedometer in our car. We're doing just about 80 km/h on dry, bare roads when we could be doing 100 km/h. Why? Because of the winter. Most of the snow was gone at that point, but we still hadn't gone back to summer time speed limits, and the drive to M's parents' place seemed longer than ever before.



The next photo was taked at Kakola prison in Turku. Had I not gone with the man on the bus stop for "Waiting," I'd have gone with this photo, because I am fairly sure waiting is what most of the men inside those walls are doing. Every day, all day long.



The next two photos were taked for "Wood" and "Time" respectively. The wooden chair lives with my sister, and the old telephone lives at the mom and dad's.





The next photo was taken at a gig where my brother's band was playing. This is not my brother, this is their guitar player. I considered this photo for "Fire," because it sort of looks like he's on fire, doesn't it?



The next two photos are from my "White" collection. Lovely, beautiful snow...





The next photo is a portrait of my very good friend, Dani. I have many photos of Dani with perfect lighting, perfect composition and picture-perfect smiles. But I like this one the most, even with the shadows and the slight blurriness, because the look on her face is just wonderful.



This photo I considered for crowd, I know it's just a pair of legs, but I promise, there were plenty more people there.



I took many photos of my sister, this is another one I considered for "Nude," but in the end went with the one where you could see her face because it was just more intimate. Plus, she's beautiful.



And last, in this long, long list of outtakes, is my cat. Because no meme is complete without a photo of a cat.




These other brave souls also participated in the 30 Days of Photographs II challenge: MikeWJ, Nicky and Mike, Mo, Meleah, John, aka nonamedufus, Bryan, aka Unfinished Person, Mariann, Malisa, Nora, LaughingMom, Tanya, Elizabeth A., 00dozo, Cheryl, Kristen and Katherine. *
Share/Bookmark

29 comments:

  1. I was enjoying the moment with these outtakes right up until the C-A-T. Otherwise, very nice photos, Ziva. You are one talented Finn. Thousands? Wow! How many of the C-A-T? Okay, okay, that's a very nice picture of the C-A-T, too. No pic of the whip, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't pick a favorite. They all are so good,but I understand why you went with the other one of your sister. This one, I don't know, is almost too artsy. That one is more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think each and every one of these is breathtaking.  But my favorite might be that cat photo.  It looks like a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Linda! I really like that cat photo, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you agree on the photo of my sister, it was a tough call, but I think I made the right decision. Plus, it helps that I got to post the other one here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, dufus, the C-A-T is gorgeous, don't you think? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, what you're saying here is that you don't know how to take a bad picture, right?

    I'm a sucker for live music shots and cats, but the portrait of your friend if perfect. Very naturally pretty.

    They're all great. Nice landscapes too. I wonder if we'll ever have real snow again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outtakes are as good as what you posted and could be used just for filler between paragraphs. (Your friend, Dina, is adorable. Love that shot the best.)

    I'm beginning to think I'm the only cat-free participant. My husband is allergic or we'd have one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believe me, Mike, I take plenty of bad photos. ;) I'm glad you liked my rejects, though. It's nice to get to post some of the ones that didn't make it in the first time around, and I really do love that photo of Dani.

    You'll have snow again. If not naturally, then I'm sending you some of ours next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We actually have two cats, but this one is just more photogenic. ;)

    I'm glad you like my outtakes, it was fun trying to decide which ones to post. We should probably do another round; the rejects that didn't make the reject-round. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's right.  One MUST have a cat on their blog posts!

    Those are all great pictures, Ziva.  I love the shot of your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah. Count me in. For starters, I have 80 shots of the butterflies, 205 shots of ONE hawk, and 24 pics of a bird I finally identified and can now post. (You'll like it. It's black and white.) So dear gawd, do NOT go there. I used remarkable self-restraint in posting only 1 bird photo in my rejects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exactly, I'm so glad you understand, Reffie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I noticed there was only one bird! I am very proud of you. ;) Also, a little disappointed, I would have LOVED to see Michael's reaction to 20 more photos of birds. They peck your eyes out, you know. Because that's what birds do. They peck your eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for noticing my restraint. There will come a day or 6 or 8 when I post nothing except birds. The kind that peck your eyes out. Because that's what some kinds of birds do. They peck your eyes out. But only if your name is Michael WJ.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness. ALL OF THOSE PHOTOS ARE AMAZING!  My favorite?  The graveyard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How's the 'overhang'?  Hope you enjoyed your party, Ziva!

    I can totally really relate to your very first photo for "Silence" - at night, the hazy and almost drizzle like snow makes everything so, so quiet but you can still hear that slight 'tinkle' when it hits the ground.  That's one of the things I truly miss about living in Canada and the snow.  As for the rest of them, meh.  Kidding, of course. I don't think you could take a bad photo.  Really, they are all great.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love the one of the flower...and the snow...and the kitty.

    I have to say something here and I doubt my friend will ever know as I'm sure they aren't ever reading anything I type.  If it is my one friend who is a photographer, I'm not talking about you...I'm talking about my other friend who is...

    ...I have a friend who is a photographer - and I'm friggen serious...not ONE shot, not one friggen shot was as awesome as any of yours here.  I have no clue what "qualifications" you have to have in order to be a photographer -- but I seriously doubt they have any other than the fact they passed a course in some college and someone bestowed a diploma on them.  

    To me - you either have it or you don't.  You have an eye for it - or you don't.  Like with writing and comedy...you can't "learn" it - you are born with it.  You can't learn funny.  I don't care what anyone says.  And just because you took a literature or writing course and can write "properly" doesn't make you interesting enough to read.

    There.  I said it.  Your photos are spectacular.  You...are indeed a photographer.  

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha!  I better go spend that $13.00 after all on a camera battery then!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Graveyard, amazing, and I love the one of Dani, and the one at the gig, that's such a good shot. Plus the wooden chair is so comforting, nothing beats a good wooden chair. Amazing outtakes. And thanks for organising :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Katherine! The graveyard photo I took fairly early one morning, it started snowing just as I got there, big heavy flakes, perfect for capturing on film. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, thanks Double-O! Believe me, I take plenty of "meh" photos. Actually, I take far more crappy meh photos than good photos, but I'm glad you liked my outtakes, the snow really can be quite magical..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mariann, your comment made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, it really did. Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean more to me than you can possibly know..

    Thank you for joining and being so much fun, Mariann. It was really great getting to know you, and I will keep following you and your blog for sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. No, thank YOU for playing, Mo, it was a true pleasure to look at your photos every day. :) I bet the love of the old wooden chair is a British thing, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even your rejects are amazing! Yeah, yeah. I know you claim you take plenty of terrible pictures too, but I'm not buying it. You really should consider turning pro, Lemmikki. And maybe become a photographer too.
    :-)

    Btw, as gorgeous as that shot of your sister is, the crooked frame is making me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Ziva, these are all totally-super-incredible. Thank you SO much for including me for the challenge. I truly enjoyed every second. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hah, I might need a few pointers from you on how to turn pro. ;)

    You would HATE my sister's apartment, it's full of little quirky things like crooked frames that would drive someone with crazy OCD, well.. crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, Meleah! I am so happy you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's right.  One MUST have a cat on their blog posts!

    Those are all great pictures, Ziva.  I love the shot of your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.