Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thirty Days of Photographs: Different

“Colourscape is made up of one hundred colourful sphere-like chambers, linked together into a giant labyrinth.” When I read that very British sentence I knew this was something I had to experience. So on Tuesday afternoon, M and I found ourselves standing in line, waiting to be swallowed by the giant vagina-like entrance to the enormous blow-up labyrinth. There’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.

Now you might be wondering why there was a giant labyrinth with a vagina entrance in a park near my house, and I assure you, it’s not something that happens all the time. Some people might even call it “different.” Personally, I call it freaky as hell. The reason for this is perfectly logical, though; Turku is the cultural capital of Europe this year, and as such, full of crazy art installations, floating saunas and exhibitions.

And so M and I decided to enjoy some culture. We entered the labyrinth and stepped into a world of color. I’ve never experienced anything like it. The spheres were all different colors, and the strange thing is, the different colors actually felt physically different. I felt drawn to the red spheres, but they were almost too intense to step into. The black sphere was like a big bubble of nothing, and the grey spheres a lovely calm neutral. Yellow made me feel mellow and happy, and green was just plain weird. In the very middle of the labyrinth, we found a band, playing very unique music that sounded throughout the labyrinth. The entire experience was sort of like swimming through light and color, very strange indeed.

These pictures don’t do the experience justice, but I’ll post them anyway. If you ever have the chance to visit Colourscape, you definitely should. Just don’t do drugs before you go in.























*
Share/Bookmark

17 comments:

  1. Very trippy. I find it weird that the green made you feel weird...I would have thought you would have felt like a chameleon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you said "vagina-like" so I don't have to and feel weird about it. Ok, I don't feel weird about saying vagina-like.

    I hope Colourscape travels. It looks crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the green just made me too self-conscious. I hate it when my skin matches the bubble I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, totally vagina-like, right? I don't know where they're headed after Turku, but let's hope it's close to you. Like Greenland, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they have a sign at the entrance saying, "Although it enhances the experience, LSD is optional."?
    ;-)

    Really, the colours are wonderful and even though it reminds me of a sixties thing, it is quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen someone swallowed by a vagina. 

    Wow.

    Freaky awesome photos. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some of the most awesome photos I've ever seen. I could just cry. Not because they're so good and you're so talented, but because you have humiliated me. Also, I like the idea of the entrance. I'd probably buy a hundred tickets and go in and out a bunch of times, really fast.

    I wish I hadn't said that. I'm compensating for taking such a terrible photo today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pics are fascinating. The colours are so vibrant. And imagine having  band in your vagina. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really think these are some of the most amazing photos I've ever seen.  The colors are so vibrant and alive!  There really is something womb-like about the spaces.  It sort of makes me see colors as a world of their own or having properties like numbers.  Red has to be 1 and the gray has to be 3.  Fabulous exhibit and the photos need to be shown to the exhibitors and sold to them at very high prices.  Really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really amazing! I would definitely like to experience this. And your photos are SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yeah Greenland is just next door. I pass it on my way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they should be giving you a complimentary hit of LSD when you buy the ticket, just to make sure that walking around in a giant labyrinth made out of colorful bubbles doesn't get too boring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm telling you, it was surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A hundred times? Aren't you being a little optimistic now? I mean, you're what, 89 years old? 

    ReplyDelete
  15. At the time, though, it made perfect sense to have a band in the giant vagina. That thing messes with your mind, I'm telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I think you would have loved that labyrinth, Linda. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. They should be touring, let's hope they're coming to a place near you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.