Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

For Nicky

The summer of 2013 was hot in New York City. It was the kind of heat that draped itself like a wet blanket over your skin, that radiated from hot asphalt and got caught in the maze of skyscrapers.  Warm sweaty bodies crowded the streets.

We were there, too, M and I, and so were Nicky and Mike. They'd driven down all the way from Montreal to spend a couple of days on Manhattan with us.  It was the first time I ever met Nicky in person. It would also be the last time.


We ate, we drank, we walked. We had a picnic in Central Park and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. We sat in the neon-lit night and talked and laughed. In a dark little bar Nicky and I had a drink named after us, and in Little Italy we had the Best Cannoli on Planet Earth.




Occasionally things got a little wild, and when it was time for Nicky and Mike to head back home, I actually tried to pack Nicky in my suitcase and take her home with me.



I missed her when I got back home, and I'm still missing her today. It breaks my heart that I will never again meet her or talk to her, because now, Nicky only lives in our hearts and memories.  There, on Brooklyn Bridge in a warm and sunny New York City, Nicky's walking along ahead of me and laughing when I want to take just one more picture.

Thank you for your friendship, Nicky.

I will never forget.


*
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Stop!!

This blog uses the Disqus comment system. If you see this message, please wait until you see the Disqus comment form or refresh your browser. Comments posted here will not show up on the blog.